Carrot Cake Ingredients And Preparations
chopped walnuts - 1/4 cup
all-purpose flour - 1 1/3 cups
granulated sugar - 1/2 cup
baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
cinnamon - 1 tsp
ground cloves - 1/2 tsp
ground nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
ground allspice - 1/2 tsp
salt - 1/4 tsp
canola oil - 1/4 cup
low-fat (1%) buttermilk - 1/3 cup
eggs - 2
vanilla extract - 1 tsp
grated carrots (abt 3 med) - 1 1/2 cups
well-drained crushed pineapple - 1/2 cup
powdered sugar, sifted - 1 cup
neufchatel cheese, softened - 1/4 cup
yogurt cheese - 1/4 cup(or fat-free brick-style cream cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch tube or bundt pan with
nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow microwavable dish, spread the walnuts in a single layer and
microwave on high, stirring every 30 seconds, until lightly toasted and
fragrant, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda,
baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Add the oil,
buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Stir in the reserved nuts, the carrots, and the pineapple.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake, until a toothpick inserted
into the center comes out clean, about 35 - 40 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, in a medium bowl, stir together the powdered sugar
and neufchatel cheese until smooth.
- Gently stir in the yogurt cheese, just until blended (do not stir
excessively; the frosting will thin). Spread on the cake and refrigerate
until chilled, at least 2 hours.
Facts: Calories 218; Calories from Fat 74; Fat 8g; Saturated Fat 1g;
Cholesterol 39mg; Sodium 283mg; Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 20g; Protein 4g.
This recipe yields 12 servings. Serving size: 1 piece.
Exchanges Per Serving: 2 Carbohydrate, 1 1/2 Fat.
Comments: Everyone has a favorite recipe for carrot cake that dates back to
the '70s. This new millennium version preserves the cake's famously moist,
dense texture without the sugary sweetness. Toasting the nuts brings out
their flavor so you can use fewer of them, and the perfect combination of
spices compensates for missing fat. It tastes best when refrigerated
overnight: make it a day ahead, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
It will keep up to 4 days.
"American Diabetes Association at http://www.diabetes.org"